Thursday, October 1, 2009

Segovia



My good friend Mara and I took a day trip to a small town called Segovia north of Madrid.  It is known for its medieval castle and Roman aqueduct.


The mountains outside Segovia


Oh there's just a 2,000 year old aqueduct in down the street.  No big deal.


It's very large, and not a single drop of mortar was used to build it.  All the stones are arranged such that they support each other without anything binding them together.




I couldn't resist




Not just one pretty church, but turn the corner and there's a gorgeous cathedral in the background.


Detail of the Catheral in the distance.  Personally I thin it looks more majestic from afar than up close.  When you're standing in front of it, it's hard to see everything because the street is only so wide.


But getting to it was a bit more difficult.  It's hard to see anything ahead in the small winding streets, then suddenly there it is.


A gargoyle retrofitted for mor modern purposes.


Turn another bend and the narrow streets completely open up for the cathedral.


Segovia is also known for its castle.  Supposedly this is the castle Disney used as a reference for the castle in Sleeping Beauty.  This is a postcard I bought of a view from outside the town.  Our view from inside was not very interesting - by that I mean, it didn't look as pretty as it is in my photos.


This the coolest photo I had of the castle.


Mountains in the distance.



No comments:

Post a Comment